My Fortnite Experience

I am an avid Fortnite player and love the game, but my PC was recently ruined by my little brother and I had to start from scratch with a donated PC. First of all, for you newbies, what is Fortnite? According to CoPilot, “Fortnite is a trendsetting multiplayer online battle royale game developed by Epic Games. In this intense survival experience, players drop onto an island map alongside 99 other competitors. The goal? To be the last person standing. As you explore the island, you’ll scavenge for weapons, gear, and resources while constantly navigating shrinking safe zones. What sets Fortnite apart is its unique building mechanics: you can construct structures—towers, walls, and more—to defend yourself or gain tactical advantages. Whether you prefer solo play or teaming up with friends, Fortnite offers various modes, including Duos, Trios, Squads, and even a building-focused Team Rumble. So, whether you’re a seasoned player or a newcomer, Fortnite’s dynamic gameplay and ever-evolving world await!” (“Microsoft Copilot Conversation on Fortnite,” 22 Apr. 2024)

The system requirements of Fortnite are relatively low, thankfully.  The replacement PC I have has the recommended specs for the CPU but has no GPU, and I only have $150 to meet the recommended GTX 660.  I opted for the GeForce 1650, which is the best I could find in my price range.

PNY GeForce® GTX 1650 for $149.99

The PNY GTX1650 is 49% better than the recommended GTX 660.  While this video card is only ranked 258 on the passmark rating, it will easily play FortNite.

The GTX1650 GPU is made by Nvidia and has a 1410MHz core clock with 896 CUDA cores.  The 4GB od GDDR6 runs at a bandwidth of 192GB/s.

The PCIe interface is slightly older and is PCIe 3.0 with APIs still supporting DX12 and OpenGL4.6.  It only pulls 75 Watts of power and has a single 6-pin power connector. It has a DVI, HDMI, and Displayport outputs and takes 2 slot spots on the back of my PC.
Overall my new setup seems to be playing Fortnite again very well.  I am far enough over the recommended settings, even at my $150 budget, that the experience has me back on the leaderboard.

Note:  This review is part of a classroom project.

Works Cited

PNY GeForce® GTX 1650, www.amazon.com/. Accessed 24 Apr. 2024.

PNY GeForce GTXTM 1650 4GB gddr6 dual fan. PNY Technologies Inc. (n.d.). https://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1650-gddr6-df

“Microsoft Copilot Conversation to proof final draft.” Microsoft, 24 Apr. 2024.

“Microsoft Copilot Conversation on Fortnite.” Microsoft, 24 Apr. 2024.

I used CoPilot to review the post above by asking “Please review the following blog post and give me any inputs to improve it.” and then dropping in the text.  Here is its reply.

Your blog post provides a solid introduction to Fortnite, especially for newcomers. Let’s break down the key points and offer some suggestions for improvement:

1. Introduction to Fortnite:
    • You’ve done a great job explaining what Fortnite is. The description covers the basics, including the battle royale concept, island map, and the goal of being the last survivor.
    • Consider adding a brief mention of the game’s vibrant art style and the ever-changing in-game events that keep players engaged.
  2. Unique Building Mechanics:
    • Highlighting Fortnite’s building mechanics is crucial. You’ve touched on it, but you could expand a bit more. Mention that players can construct walls, ramps, and platforms on the fly, allowing for creative strategies and intense battles.
    • Explain how building structures can be used defensively (blocking enemy shots) or offensively (gaining high ground advantage).
  3. Game Modes:
    • You’ve mentioned Duos, Trios, Squads, and Team Rumble. Consider briefly describing each mode:
      • Duos: Teams of two players.
      • Trios: Teams of three players.
      • Squads: Teams of four players.
      • Team Rumble: A large-scale mode focused on building and combat.
    • Emphasize that Fortnite caters to both solo players and those who enjoy teaming up with friends.
  4. System Requirements:
    • You’ve covered the system requirements well. However, consider organizing this section into bullet points for clarity.
    • Add a sentence about how Fortnite’s optimization allows it to run on a wide range of hardware, making it accessible to many players.
  5. PNY GeForce GTX 1650:
    • Good choice! Mention that the GTX 1650 strikes a balance between affordability and performance.
    • Clarify that while it’s ranked 258 on the PassMark rating, it still handles Fortnite smoothly.
    • Briefly explain what CUDA cores are (they assist with parallel processing).
  6. Technical Details:
    • Expand on the PCIe interface. Explain that while it’s PCIe 3.0, it’s still compatible with modern motherboards.
    • Mention that the single 6-pin power connector makes it easy to install.
    • Add a sentence about the card’s compact form factor, which suits various PC builds.
  7. Conclusion:
    • Wrap up by emphasizing that the PNY GTX 1650 is a budget-friendly choice for Fortnite players.
    • Consider adding a positive note about how the game’s dynamic updates keep it fresh and exciting.

Overall, your blog post provides valuable information. With a few tweaks, it’ll be even more engaging for readers. Keep up the great work!