Review of the 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper 2950X

<![CDATA[

The Stats

• Power usage: 180 Watts
  • Socket: sTR4
  • Tech: 12 nm
  • 16 cores, 32 threads
  • Speed: 3.5 Ghz, overclockable to 4.4 Ghz
  • Cache: 8MB of L2, 32MB of L3
  • Passmark score: 25,681
  • Price: $879.99

My Experience

(The Meg)

I purchased the Threadripper 2950x to put it into my Meg X399 motherboard that I previously reviewed on this website. I wanted the best processor that would fit the board, and this one certainly hasn’t disappointed.

Let me tell you, this build blows my old PC out of the park. With 16 cores and 32 threads, I can multitask like crazy. And with 40 megs of cache, the speed of any minor task is super speedy. Lastly, being that I can overclock all 16 cores to 4.4 GHz, this thing dominates any game I throw at it. Not just gaming, but video editing, processing 4K video, having tons of tabs open at once, etcetera. It’s a powerhouse.

What others have to say

• “Skip the pricey Intel Skylake-X CPUs and even AMD’s new WX-series. Price-to-performance, you won’t find a better value out of a high-end desktop processor than the Ryzen Threadripper 2950X.” -TechRadar
  • “Ryzen Threadripper 2950X builds on all of the goodness offered by AMD’s first-gen Ryzen Threadripper processors, addressing some of our concerns in the process. If you’re looking to upgrade from an older CPU to an all-around crowd pleaser, Threadripper 2950X does not disappoint.” -Tom’s Hardware
  • “Whatever your choice is, you’ll love your Threadripper PC, whether that is 12, 16, 24 or 32 cores. But for the demographic of this website, the 2590X somehow makes sense, as it could be the best match in application compatibility and gaming.” -The Guru of 3D

Final Thoughts

The AMD Threadripper 2950X is a great processor. It can handle all sorts of heavy task, play games well, and multitask like a pro. If you’re in the market and have a $1000 price range, then you’d be crazy not to buy this processor. At just under $900, it’s a steal for the price. I absolutely recommend it.

References:

Please note that this review is part of a classroom project. 

]]>